- How will this affect WSC travel players and current travel teams?
- When will the premier and travel team coaches be assigned for the 2016/2017 season?
- When do these polich changes go into affect?
- What is the club's "Playing Up" policy?
- Are you working on anything that will bring the players together before tryouts?
In short, we will start from scratch and form NEW teams with new coaches, and new team names for the following age groups:
- Under 9 (2008 birth year)
- Under 10 (2007 birth year)
- Under 11 (2006 birth year)
- Under 12 (2005 birth year)
- Under 13 (2004 birth year)
- Under 14 (2003 birth year)
- Under 15 (2002 birth year)
Teams will be formed at our open tryouts in the same manner as previous years.
After much consideration, the club has concluded to allow “grandfathering” of current U14 and above teams which will allow the teams to “play-up” into age group of oldest player if the core of the team determines that they want to stay together. For example, the current U14 players are born between August 1, 2001 and July 31, 2002. To accommodate any player on the team born in 2001, all players on the team not born in 2001 must play up to the 16 and under age group for the 2016/2017 season. The club made this decision primarily based on the fact that the majority of these players on these teams are of high school age and already regularly compete with different age players at the high school level. The following details how the current teams being grandfathered will be handled:
- Current U14 will play Under 16 in 2016/2017 (2001 Birth year and 2002 “play-up” birth year)
- Current U15 will play Under 17 in 2016/2017 (2000 Birth year and 2001 “play-up” birth year)
- Current U16 will play Under 18 in 2016/2017 (1999 Birth year and 2000 “play-up” birth year)
- Current U17 will play Under 19 in 2016/2017 (1998 Birth year and 1999 “play up” birth year)
Open try outs will be held for these teams as well. Players new to the club will be encouraged to tryout for their birth year team.
The club fully understands that between now and the try outs for the 2016/2017 travel season there is going to be a lot of uncertainty among our membership. We’d like to reiterate at this point we are diligently working toward making this transition as smooth as possible for player and parent alike.
Our target for the assignment of coaches is by the end of January 2016. That said it is possible that we may miss this target as coaches are assigned to teams based on a number of criteria, including their ability to develop players, experience at coaching certain ages and levels, licenses, and their evaluations completed by our Director of Coaching. As in the past, our best and most committed coaches will be assigned to the top teams in age groups.
Please be extra patient with us as we work through this process for the first time under the new U.S. Soccer mandates. Be assured we are working to assign coaches as soon as reasonably possible.
WSC will be in full compliance with the new changes, starting at tryouts in the spring. Age group changes will NOT be in effect yet for teams in 2016 spring leagues or 2016 state cups. Current team rosters will be used for all competitions through June, 2016.
The club’s position and rules governing playing up will be made public in early January. That said, we have concluded that our playing up rules for players in the Under 15 and below age groups will be based on a player’s individual ability. Teams will not be allowed to play up together to “stay together” as a team in these younger age group.
Yes, the club is currently working on plans to hold Birth Year Age Group Training sessions that would offer players and parents alike an opportunity to acclimate to the age group changes. More details will be provided shortly.